Cricket News

T20 World Cup 2024 – David Warner on Mark Wood and Jofra Archer: ‘They have to use their pace’

David Warner has predicted that England’s last two Ashes destroyers will have a very different presence on the wickets of the T20 World Cup in the Caribbean.

Australia will meet England for the first time in any format since last year’s tense Ashes series on Saturday [Sunday AEDT] in Barbados, in each team’s second match of the World Cup.

Mark Wood and Jofra Archer are expected to play for an England team that desperately needs a win after being beaten by Scotland.
Archer has not played against Australia since the 2020 white-ball series in England, which happened during the Covid period, as he made his mark against them in his first Test series in 2019. Headingley and helping the hosts to go from 2-0 to a 2-2 draw.

Both are among the fastest in the world at their best, but the slower pitches in the Caribbean are a far cry from their home conditions. Know that it is a T20 than a Test match, and Warner believes that this is a very different situation.

“You have to use their speed,” Warner said. “Test cricket they put different pitches, different balls. In Twenty20 cricket, you have to get half an edge in it and it can go. So there is a fair difference.”

Warner is also not expecting a consistent high-profile explosion as seen elsewhere in the world.

“I played a lot of cricket here,” said Warner. “You expect it to go down rather than bounce, unless it’s really short. The difference in bounce is what’s surprising. Because if they throw the ball eight feet. [from the stumps] long, your instinct is to pull. But you have to get back on track, support yourself, and if it bounces, so be it.”

Warner hit 56 off 51 balls to guide Australia to a match-winning score in their opening match against Oman to begin his final international tournament. The runs came after a disappointing IPL, prompting questions from critics as to whether he deserved a final hurling ahead of rising star Jake Fraser-McGurk.

“That’s right [the criticism] it doesn’t bother me. In one ear, out the other,” Warner said. “I don’t understand why it’s about me. There are 11 players in the team. I don’t get it.

“People think they should continue criticizing the way I play, I don’t know what it is. “

Sunday’s Group B game is almost as important as it is for England, after being tied on points with Scotland. Defeat to Australia would spell doom for the defending champions, after Scotland beat Namibia on Friday. If England are beaten, that could leave open the possibility that they will face Scotland as the second team out of the group.

Source link

Related Articles

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Back to top button