Cricket News

T20 World Cup 2024 – Eng vs Ind – Jos Buttler wishes he had bowled Moeen Ali in response at Providence Stadium

Jos Buttler, the England captain, admitted that his side played too well in their 68-run defeat against India in the semi-final of the T20 World Cup 2024 in Guyana, but insisted that his decision to bowl first came from behind. of winning the toss we did not have much impact. in the result.

After initially providing a favorable environment for a bowling that was likely to slow down as the day wore on, Buttler conceded that India’s total was 171 for 7 – thanks to 57 off 39 balls from his teammate Rohit Sharma, who was well supported . by Suryakumar Yadav’s 47 from 36 – was “20-25 runs too much”.

In reply, England scored 103 runs in 100 overs, with Axar Patel hitting his first ball of the match, in the fourth over of the powerplay, as Buttler hit it high and back to the keeper. from 23 to 15.

After that, Axar batted first ball in his next two overs to dismiss Jonny Bairstow and Moeen Ali en route to a Player-of-the-Match-winning figure of 3 for 23, before the Kuldeep Yadav’s left-arm wristpin snapped. the average program featured to finish 3 out of 19.

“They definitely beat us,” said Buttler in his post-match speech. “I think we probably allowed them to score 20-25 too many runs. That was a challenge they played well in. But they beat us and they deserved to win.”

Early morning rain delayed the start of play for more than an hour, and it came back to create another chance in the middle of India’s innings, and England chose to stick to the same tough line-up that had carried them through the Super Eight, with Reece Topley and Chris Jordan both continuing ahead of the spinners. more on Tom Hartley, and Ben Duckett’s ability against the spinning ball.

In the final analysis, however, it was England’s designated bowlers, Liam Livingstone and Adil Rashid who proved to be the most potent weapons, as they scored a combined 49 runs in their eight overs (6.13 rpo), compared to overs 12 out of 120 ( 10 rpo) from four quicks.

“With everything that has happened throughout the tournament, we are proud of everyone’s efforts to be here”

Jos Buttler

Moeen Ali, however, was overlooked, perhaps due to the humid conditions at the start of India’s innings. Not only did Buttler admit that he was wrong to ignore Moeen, he also admitted that the impact of Rashid and Livingstone made him fear that a powerful Indian attack could materialize at the same venue.

“Obviously, they have good spinners,” Buttler said. “Our two boys bowled well, but looking back, I should have brought Moeen on [on] in that innings, the way the spin was playing.

“Obviously since the rain was there in those conditions, I probably didn’t think it would change that much,” he added. “And I really don’t think it really happened. I thought they beat us. They scored above average. So I don’t think the toss was the difference between the teams.”

The result was complete as England’s 10-wicket win was the same at the 2022 T20 World Cup in Adelaide, after which Buttler’s men became the first men’s team to hold both the 50-over and 20-over world championships. topics together.

Both trophies are now vital to England’s grasp, and a semi-final exit is a far better defense than last year’s 50-over World Cup, with England still out of the tournament after losing three of their four matches. great opponents.

Their early loss to Australia left them needing grace to advance to the group stage, while their loss to South Africa in St Lucia cost them a tough semi-final tie, with India looking to avenge the Adelaide result with Rohit’s explanation. as “satisfactory” performance.

“Two years ago, under different circumstances, it’s very different,” Buttler said, when asked to reflect on his team’s turnaround in fortunes. “Congratulations to India, they played a very good game of cricket and they deserved to win.

“With everything that’s happened throughout the tournament, we’re proud of everyone’s efforts to be here,” he added, recalling their strong run from Group 2, when only a late break in Antigua allowed them to take the lead. on the field in the match they must win against Namibia.

“You can only play what is put in front of you. We had a lot of difficulties during the tournament. We fought well as a team, and we played the best cricket in the teams but we fell short when we needed it the most. .”

Source link

Related Articles

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Back to top button