Cricket News

T20 World Cup 2024 – How Shivam Dube knew he was in the World Cup squad

Shivam Dube had “butterflies” and “sleepless nights” ahead of the selection of India’s squad for the 2024 T20 World Cup, but he has more than realized that he is in the team management’s plans.
Last August, after more than three years away, Dube got a T20I on the back of an amazing run in IPL 2023. Dube had reinvented himself as a spin bowler and was part of Chennai Super Kings’ victory that year. He scored 176.47 against spinners, and hit 22 sixes, the most by any batsman in IPL 2023. He scored a total of 418 runs in the season.
However, it was not until January 2024 that he was able to repeat his IPL success at the international level. He hit back-to-back unbeaten runs (60* and 63*) and was named Player of the Series for his 124 runs in the three-match series against Afghanistan at home. He also bowled seven overs in three matches during that time.

“When I was selected for the Afghanistan series, Rohit [Sharma, captain] bye he told me i would do it [get a chance to] bowl and hit again,” said Dube in conversation bcci.tv in the formation of the Indian squad announcement. He said, ‘just show us what you can do.’ When the captain comes and tells you that we want to see you do this, you just say ‘I’m kidding’, so my thought was how can I do it and make the team win.

Dube has continued his batting form so far in IPL 2024. He is currently third (26) in the six-hits list, behind Heinrich Klaasen (28) and Abhishek Sharma (27). He credits this dramatic change to his move from Rajasthan Royals to CSK ahead of the 2023 season.

“When I entered the CSK setup, Mahi [MS Dhoni] bye again [Stephen] Fleming told me you had to hit. But they never said it must start from the first ball,” said Dube. “Even they know that doing that can be dangerous. It was in the back of my mind that if they have faith in me, why should I take unnecessary risks in my first 10 balls?

“That plan was, yes, I’m hitting [big] now, but how can i do it right? Mentally, I am prepared to see what my approach should be when the bowler bowls a particular ball. It took me a while to get used to this, but I’m set now. I watch the ball carefully, and as it hits the bat, I feel that it is over, it is over, it will go for six and it will go long. Special thanks to CSK. They raised me their way and it worked for me.”

Dube’s batting and hitting have drawn comparisons with Yuvraj Singh at his peak. Dube laughs at the mention of his name matching Yuvraj’s, but hopes he can do the same to match his sixes.

“Yes, there is something like Yuvraj Singh,” said Dube. “It’s nice when people compare my batting to his. If I can do like him, it will be good. When I joined the Indian team, Ravi. [Shastri, then head coach] bye he told me he ‘hit sixes like Yuvraj Singh.’

“In view [Yuvraj] bat, I read that even if he didn’t hit the first seven and eight balls, he closed it towards the end. I learned that and prepared myself mentally. If people think I can do this [bat like him], maybe I really can. Why not? It’s important to use the right things at the right time.”

Source link

Related Articles

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Back to top button