Cricket News

T20 World Cup 2024 – Mitchell Marsh available to bowl, Glenn Maxwell backs him to find batting form

Mitchell Marsh has declared he is ready to bowl in the Super Eight at the T20 World Cup 2024 stage to give Australia another option ahead of their match against Bangladesh in Antigua, while Glenn Maxwell believes the captain is set to play a big role with the bat.

Marsh has not played since leaving the IPL with a hamstring injury and a cautious approach has been taken to allow him to return as he embarks on a longer-than-expected rehabilitation.

“I’ll be there to throw,” he said. “With the lineup we have, I don’t really see the need to throw the ball, but I think it’s very important this way to have options and we’re blessed with a lot of that.”

Australia have not been caught short as Marsh has been caught in the swing of Marcus Stoinis playing a key role, while against Scotland they have used 12 overs of spin looking for possible Super Eight conditions.
Marsh’s role playing with the ball could be a possible scenario if Australia put in Ashton Agar as the second leading spinner and decide they need more seam overs.

“I feel good physically,” Marsh said. “It’s always nice to have a bit of a break from bowling and I often joke about that. But me and Stoin often talk about it as all-rounders, we like to be in the game.”

Marsh would not reveal whether Australia would revert to three quick games against Bangladesh or maintain the balance of attack they used against Scotland. The Sir Vivian Richards Stadium hasn’t offered much help to the bowlers so far – the numbers at the ground have been topped by four wickets for Adam Zampa and Adil Rashid against Oman and Namibia – but Australia are wary of high-run conditions. in St Vincent where they will face Afghanistan.

Should Australia bring back both Pat Cummins and Josh Hazlewood to their XI after they were rested against Scotland, Maxwell could take over the role of second spinner.

Marsh and Maxwell are two parts of Australia’s batting line-up that have yet to explode at the World Cup with 63 runs between them in seven innings, but Maxwell was confident that he and the captain were close to making it big.

“Me and Mitch, we had a lot of confidence in the England game with the role we played,” Maxwell told ESPN. Around The Wicket. “Even though it’s a small sample we still feel like we’ve played a role; we’re putting the innings up so that the lower order can get nuts again. The opening batsmen to go out and bowl 12, 13 overs can be misleading. The conditions are like that and if we try to go at that level until the innings ended, we thought how can we lose our wickets.

“Mitch has been unbelievable over the last few years, as he has returned to all three formats, especially the Test, [and] I think that’s probably filtered out of the reliability of the other two formats. When you watch him do his job, you always know he’s got one or two shots at ruining the game and we’re looking forward to seeing that. “

On his form, coming off a poor IPL, Maxwell said: “I’m still feeling pretty good. I was hitting the ball well, but…I think it’s been hard to get the momentum. You’ve seen our openers go out there and pump it all over the place and it’s very difficult to fix it.

“He’s the only one in this tournament who’s always beaten Stoin – he’s played well. Having these guys under me gives me a lot of confidence and knowing I’ve got a little bit of time to get into the competition and we’re in. I’ve got real quality under us. It’s a good place that I don’t feel like I’ve completely hit my stride, I played well against England… but I know it’s not far.”

Source link

Related Articles

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Back to top button