Cricket News

T20 World Cup 2024 – Rahul Dravid – India’s win is a ‘great testament to the team’s fight’

“We have incredible talent in Indian cricket right now,” Dravid said after the final. “The strength and confidence of the players is at another level. We have been eyeing the ICC trophy for a long time and I am sure that the team will carry this confidence forward and will win many trophies in the next four, five, six years because the skill and talent this team has… it lacks nothing.

“There was a time when we felt like we were working hard and playing good cricket but we couldn’t get over that barrier. But after today I have a lot of hope that these boys will take it further and win more games. medals.”

Dravid took over from Ravi Shastri in November 2021. His initial tenure was for two years, which was then extended until the T20 World Cup 2024. Under him, last year, India reached the finals of the World Test Championship and ODI World Cup. , but the trophy eluded them. Until Saturday, the last ICC title they had won was the Champions Trophy in 2013.

Asked about India’s preparations for the T20 World Cup, Dravid said, “To be honest, this is a two-year journey. This is not just a journey from this T20 World Cup. When I think about the formation of this team, the kind of skills we want, the players what we want, those discussions started in September [November] 2021.

“So two years of work. This is not just the work of this World Cup. I think it has culminated in this World Cup. Disappointment in Australia [at the 2022 T20 World Cup] then the one-day World Cup – a lot has gone into it. This feels like a journey of not just one month, it feels like a journey of two years. What we tried to build, what we tried to create, it feels like it all came together here on a beautiful afternoon in Barbados.”

Dravid praised his players for their fighting spirit, which was evident during the final. At one point, South Africa needed just 30 from as many balls with six wickets in hand, but India kept the pressure on and squeezed out a narrow win.

“I’m not usually at a loss for words, but I’ve felt at a loss for words these past few hours,” he said. “I couldn’t be prouder of this team. The way we battled through the tough times and today, I think it was a good testament to the fight in the team. We lost three wickets in the first six. [overs], to be in the position we are in with 30 balls to go. But the boys kept fighting, kept believing, and I think it’s a big credit to them.

“As part of the coaching staff, I feel very grateful because we get to enjoy these moments because of what they did in a stressful situation. It’s lovely to be part of a dressing room like this and I think it’s a memory of a lifetime. So I’m very grateful and grateful to the team and everyone in the support staff who made this possible successful.

As a player, Dravid has never won a World Cup. Under his captaincy, India were knocked out of the 2007 ODI World Cup in the first round. That tournament was also held in the West Indies but Dravid does not see the recent victory as redemption.

“There is no redemption. I’m not one of those guys who think about redemption and all that stuff. As a player, I wasn’t lucky enough to win a trophy. But I tried my best, I gave my best whenever I was played and it wasn’t worth it, and that’s part of sports. There are many other players I know who haven’t been able to win a trophy and lucky to be given the opportunity to coach the team. I was lucky that this group of boys made me able to win this cup.

“It’s a good feeling, but it’s not like I’m aiming for redemption. It’s just a job I was doing. I loved doing this job. I loved working with Rohit. [Sharma] and this group. It’s been a great journey and I’ve really enjoyed it.”

Earlier this year, Dravid spoke to the BCCI about his decision not to seek another post. That means he ends his coaching career on a high note but is not looking to create “any legacy”.

“I feel happy that we gave our best and I’m not the only one,” he said. “I think I’d like to thank the support staff I’ve worked with. I think I’ve been lucky to work with hard-working professionals, a group of brilliant coaches, and other support staff. We’ve been able to create a great environment, led by Rohit, I’m happy that luckily, it’s led to this trophy.

When asked what he will miss most about Rohit, Dravid replied, “I will miss him as a person. Forget the cricket and the captaincy and all, but what impressed me the most is the kind of person he is, the kind of respect he showed me, the kind of care and commitment he had for the team, the kind of energy he had, and he never used it.” he retreated from it.

“So for me he is someone I will miss a lot. He will be a great captain, he will be a great player and he will score runs and win trophies, but I think he is the person he is. I will love him very much.”

Moving forward, India will be without Rohit and Virat Kohli as well for the T20Is as both players have announced their retirement from the format. According to BCCI president Roger Binny, it will take “two to three years” for the team to close that gap.

“Many cricketers are coming through the IPL but it will take time to bridge the gap,” said Binny after the final. “They have contributed a lot. It will take time. We will probably see in the next two or three years, the team returns to its own without them.”

Meanwhile, the BCCI has started looking for the next coach, with Gautam Gambhir at the top of its wish list. But Binny did not reveal much about it.

“Nothing tangible has come yet. Gautam Gambhir has a lot of experience. He has worked with teams. He has played Tests, ODIs, T20s. Let’s see.”

Source link

Related Articles

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Back to top button