Cricket News

T20 World Cup 2024: Rashid Khan names ‘star’ in Afghanistan team

Afghanistan achieved a milestone by securing a place in the Super 8 division of ICC Men’s T20 World Cup 2024. The team, led by Rashid Khanthey secured their promotion with a crucial 7-wicket win Papua New Guinea (PNG) at Brian Lara Stadium in Trinidad, Friday.

History of Afghanistan T20 World Cup

Notably, Afghanistan has shown strong progress in the T20 World Cup over the years. In 2016, they made their Super 10s debut. The team continued to improve, reaching the Super 12 in both the 2021 and 2022 editions. This year’s success marks the first time that Afghanistan have reached the Super 8 stage, underscoring their growth in international cricket.

Domination in Group C

Afghanistan’s performance in Group C has been excellent. They started with a strong victory by 125 runs Ugandafollowed by a significant victory against it New Zealand, which successfully eliminated the Black Caps from the tournament. Their recent win against PNG not only kept them top of Group C but also highlighted their consistency and tactical superiority.

READ MORE: T20 World Cup 2024: Wazhma Ayoubi and others explode as Afghanistan record record win over Papua New Guinea

Rashid Khan in Afghanistan victory

Captain Rashid expressed his satisfaction with the way the team played and praised his players for their dedication and skill. He emphasized the importance of Afghanistan reaching the Super 8 stage for the first time.

“It’s been good so far. Three consecutive wins. It’s good to be at the table where we finished. Even in the last game we finished well, but I think the credit goes to the boys. They committed themselves with both bat and ball, but yeah, I think it’s big for us. You know, this is the first time for us to be in the Super Eight in the T20 World Cup,” said Rashid while speaking in a video posted by ICC on social media.

Rashid Khan reveals the star of this team

Rashid also revealed who is the star in the team. He chose Fazalhaq Farooqi for his exceptional performance and revealed that they often call the left-arm pacer as a star. Notably, Farooqi played a key role in Afghanistan’s success against PNG, taking 3 wickets for just 16 runs and winning the Player of the Match award.

“Well, I think you are our star. We call him a Superstar the way he did, and it’s great to see him back in form. He’s struggled before, but I think he knows that’s something that gives us a big foundation, a solid foundation where he started with football and gave a few successes,” added Rashid.

ALSO WATCH: T20 World Cup – Fazalhaq Farooqi dismisses Lega Siaka, Sese Bau off consecutive balls during AFG vs PNG clash

Source link

Related Articles

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Back to top button