Cricket News

T20 World Cup 2024 – Rohit insists on calm and clear role ahead of semi-final against England

India captain Rohit Sharma has stressed the importance of keeping the team’s atmosphere and mental clarity as they prepare to face England in the second semi-final of the T20 World Cup 2024 in Providence, Guyana on June 27.

“Look, we want to treat this game as another game we played in this tournament,” he said the night before the game. “We don’t want to think about what’s to come and what’s the context of the game and all that. Everyone knows in the back of their mind that it’s a semi-final. But you don’t want to keep talking about it over and over again and not thinking about what happened in the past.

The match is the semi-final of the 2022 T20 World Cup, where India lost by ten wickets against England in Adelaide.

“I think that as a whole, the whole team is in a good state of mind. We play well as a team, we enjoy being together, we enjoy each other’s success sometimes. Yes, we have been put under pressure and in certain games in this tournament, but I thought we responded well and that’s because we don’t think too far a lot.

“We want to think how well we can play and what we can do as a team to achieve the result we are looking for. Sometimes if you think too much you can’t make the decisions you make. We want to do on the field. So, I think it’s important to stay clear in our minds what we want to do and just rely on the mind person and take the game forward.”

Both India and England will be playing in Providence for the first time in this T20 World Cup – starting at 10.30 am – and checking the conditions quickly will be important.

“I know it sounds boring to me to talk about situations, situations, because that is very important,” said Rohit. “Because in New York, we saw what the winning score was. So, we want to be a smart cricket team. We don’t want to speak the same language, which is just hitting the belt.

“I think it’s important that we understand what the situations are in front of us and what we have to do. And I talked about the experience in this team, and we rely on that experience in each player to go out and make that decision. , whether it’s playing a reverse sweep, whether it’s bowling yorker, whether it’s a bowler we rely on those people to make that decision.”

When asked about India’s aggressive batting style during the T20 World Cup, Rohit singled out their Super Eight clash against Bangladesh as “the best game”. In that match, India scored 196 runs for 5 with only one batsman – Hardik Pandya – making more than 40 and the team won by 50 runs.

“Yes, it is important to play without fear,” said Rohit. “Yes. And we have created this situation in the team in the last few years … This format is now. Individual scores and individual brilliance don’t matter so much. If someone does it, it’s good, but it shouldn’t be’ I focus on that I have to score 70 runs, 90, or 100 20 – 30, 20 – 30, and still we got to 198 [196]. Which is a very good result.

“That’s because of the role we gave each player – he played his role in his section. That’s why we got to that point. I think this is what our team needs – if we play eight strikers, they will play their role and we will get the points we want.

“I see the same thing with bowling – it’s not one man’s day – they might not get four overs. You’ll get one or two overs. I always talk to the players about this. I want one or two overs from you, I want those overs. The two tight ends create pressure here so that the other bowler can come and take the wicket of the other.

“So, these little things, we always talk about these things in the team. I think the message in the team is very clear. Our focus is not on individual points, it’s the role, how you will play the role.”

Source link

Related Articles

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Back to top button