Cricket News

T20 World Cup – Gary Kirsten to face Pakistan ahead of T20I series in England

Gary Kirsten will begin his two-year tenure as coach of the Pakistan men’s national team on May 19 in Leeds, the PCB announced in Lahore on Tuesday.

This will give him three days with the players and other members of the coaching staff before the first match of the four-match T20I series against England, at Headingley on May 22. The series will be Pakistan’s last before the T20 World Cup in the Caribbean. and the USA, where they begin their campaign with a match against the USA in Dallas on June 6.

“These are exciting times for Pakistan cricket, with new management and players determined to deliver strong results,” Kirsten said in a statement. “The upcoming ICC Men’s T20 World Cup 2024 gives us a great opportunity to showcase our skills and uplift Pakistan’s legacy as a cricket superpower.

“However, success will require a concerted effort, careful planning and unwavering support. With 19 other teams fighting for the title, we must keep beating our rivals to achieve our ambitions.

“I missed the experience of coaching at world level and nurturing talented players to reach their full potential”

Gary Kirsten

“Personally, I missed the experience of coaching at the world level and raising talented players to reach their level. I am willing to work closely with the team to improve their game and bring joy to fans around the world. .”

Kirsten’s coaching success came with India, where she coached from 2008 to 2011 and won the 2011 ODI World Cup. He was the coach of South Africa for the next two years, and is currently the batting coach of Gujarat Titans in the IPL.

PCB has also brought in Simon Helmot and David Reid as the holding coach and psychology coach respectively. The board said Reid will join the team on May 20 and continue until the end of the World Cup, while Helmot will join the team on May 31. Aftab Khan, who is currently the team’s coach, will “assume senior responsibilities. -performance coach” for the World Cup if Helmot takes over. .

“Ensuring the mental health and well-being of our elite cricketers is not only a priority, but an important commitment,” said Mohsin Naqvi, PCB chairman. “Recognizing that their performance on the field is closely linked to their state of mind, we have taken drastic measures to provide them with the best possible support.

“That’s why we brought in David Reid, a seasoned professional with almost two decades of experience as a trained psychiatrist. His track record speaks volumes, having successfully worked with world record holders, Olympians and elite sports teams such as Chennai Super Kings, Melbourne Stars and Essendon Football Club. in the AFL.

“With his expertise in performance improvement and efficiency, we are confident that our players will receive the comprehensive care they need to succeed on and off the field.”

Kirsten and Jason Gillespie were announced as Pakistan’s next white and red football coaches respectively last month. Gillespie will arrive in Pakistan in July, the PCB said, during the World Test Championship series at home against Bangladesh.

Source link

Related Articles

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Back to top button