Cricket News

T20 World Cup – Scotland’s Michael Jones on run-rate furore – If David Warner opens the bowling it would be great

Michael Jones has given a hint of Scotland’s mental ease as they prepare for their crucial Group B game in Antigua on Sunday, as he welcomed Josh Hazlewood’s suggestion that Australia could go easy on his team in a bid to make his side an early defeat. England’s biggest rivals.

Speaking after Australia’s win over Namibia on Tuesday – a result that guaranteed progress to the Super Eights – Hazlewood revealed his side may be willing to “pull it out” if they get into a winning position against Scotland, to defend. the run rate of their opponents – although such a tactic could risk the suspension of their captain, Mitchell Marsh, if Australia are deemed to have breached Article 2.11 of the ICC code of conduct.

Matthew Mott, the England coach, later dismissed Hazlewood’s suggestion as an example of his “humour”, and Jones also saw the funny side of the words, as he joked that he would like to see David Warner open the bowling at the Sir Vivian Richards Stadium on Sunday .

“I was watching it live, laughing at myself,” Jones told the Press Association, adding that he appreciated the view of Tim Paine, Australia’s former Test captain, who told ESPNcricinfo’s Around The Wicket that Australia’s players should “move on.” holiday … and England can pack their bags”.

“I watched that interview and I watched Tim Paine when he said that they should play part of the team. I’m not too close to them, I don’t know any Australian players, but it would be nice if it’s a small name and you fix something.

“The rivalry between England and Australia is huge. If they want to play that way it will be happy days. We won’t complain. If they want to let David Warner open the bowling or something like that it would be ridiculous.”

But, in truth, Jones is ready to get the full experience of Australia when the two sides meet on Sunday, and after two impressive wins over Oman and Namibia, to go along with the washout against England, he admitted he and his team-mates were relishing the opportunity to practice. facing one of the best teams in the tournament.

“At the end of the day, our team wants the best result we can get, but at your level you want to challenge yourself against the best,” he said.

“Having the chance to beat Jofra Archer and Mark Wood, then Pat Cummins, Josh Hazlewood and Mitchell Starc, that’s the best in the world. Those are the opportunities we want as teams in Scotland. You want to challenge yourself and see how far you can go. and those guys.

“Australians are known for being very hard working and extremely hardworking. I’m sure they will come out guns blazing as they do in every game in every tournament.

“Hopefully they will go strong on Saturday and we can show the cricket world that we are up for the challenge. I am sure they will come out on fire as they do in every game in every competition.”

Source link

Related Articles

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Back to top button